I would advocate and be an advocate for reconnection. And I don't mean reconnection in the Facebook sense, as in to reconnect with friends on said social media website. No, I mean reconnect with the life around you. Make up those lost connections in person. Go out and see a friend, spend time with actual people. Its so easy in this electronically connected world to lose a sense of human contact, seeing someone face to face in REAL life.
And reconnection doesn't have to stop there. Reconnect with nature. Not just the people around you but the WORLD around you. Go out and see what you have been missing while "connecting" with an old friend. Participate, actively, outside, outside the computer screen.
Some can say that so much has been gained with new technology, new connections. But I feel that so much has been lost as well. So I call for the reconnection of people to people and to place. For the good of human kind. For the joy that will inevitably be found when you do.
A poem inspired by this...
Unplug yourself from the socket
that unnervingly follows you around all day
It frightens me to think that some people do not want to be unplugged
They enjoy the tail sticking out of their head
I see it as a horror, a terrible thing that cannot go on
but will keep going on until one person unplugs
One person unplugging would tip the dominoes
More and more and more people would unplug, following their lead
They would see the world around them
And talk with the people waiting to hear from them
But no one wants to
It is just my little fantasy
And of course the world we live in,
with people walking around with cyber tails,
is not a fantasy
No comments:
Post a Comment